Earlier today at the State of Iowa's Board of Regents meeting held at the Iowa Memorial Union, the Board of Regents approved demolishing the current University of Iowa Field House entrance to make room for a new UIHC project. The University of Iowa Hospital & Clinics have expanded multiple times in the past year, with a new children's hospital section and talks about demolishing a parking structure to add additional facilities.
UI Senior Vice President of Finance, Doug True, said the project was complicated, "But we'd like to proceed with it."
After the addition of the University's new Recreation and Wellness Center on Burlington street, it is likely that utilization of the Field House has decreased significantly. The new, modern CRWC building opened in the summer of 2010 and boasts 20,000 square feet of fitness space, a climbing wall, a 50-meter competitive swimming pool, and numerous other facilities.
The demolition would only affect the Field House's entrance, relocating the building's main entrance and improving traffic flow to the hospital by building a two lane roadway. It is estimated that the demolition will be complete by June 2013, but it's unclear as to if this is also the expected dates to complete the hospital and road projects.
Please login to post.
- Japan Media News- 34th Volume of 'Hunter x Hunter' to be released in June
- Meanwhile in Japan, Stage Play Adaptation of 'Attack of Titan' Gets Cancelled
- Bernie Sanders Wins Iowa Caucus
- Pairing western food with Nihon Sake
- Internet users win victory in phone unlocking.
- XBox to improve Smart Glass for Next Gen
- What's with the new iPhone?
- Iowa City School Board member could lose law license
- Good-bye to Bentley
- Nebraska man arrested for scheming Iowa City bank for ovre $60,000
- Minneapolis Comic Con to feature Power Rangers
- Apple meets some heat from China Labor Watch, and gets outed
- University of Iowa faces new healthcare rules
- Sony reigning in the Next Gen battle
- XBox 360 indie developers could self-publish on XBox Live
- Iowa City couple turns to burglary to support habits
- Peeping landlord trial pushed to September
- Woman dies answering her iPhone
- Iowa Man Faces Charges for Keeping Drugs Around Children
- Black Angel to Be on SyFy
- Warrant Issued for University of Iowa City
- Bag Ban Not Looking Up in Iowa City
- Vote on Chickens in Iowa City Delayed
- Accident on Iowa City Rock Climbing Wall
- Iowa City Horror Movie in the Making
- Obama Gives Anticipated Speech at University of Iowa
- Two Iowa City Artists Say: Moon Or Bust!
- 58 Programs Dropped From UNI
- UI Field House Entrance To Be Demolished For Hospital
- Even Governments Need Lobbyists
- Occupy Iowa City Starts Today
- Comedy Central Comes To Iowa City
- Destination Des Moines: October
- mc chris, MC Lars, Mega Ran, and Adam WarRock play in Iowa City
- Misfortune and Occult delight the Landlocked Film Festival
- What's up in Iowa City this week.