If there's one message that's clear from Johnson County Board of Supervisor's recent decision to join a coalition to hire lobbyists for the corridor region, it's that even state politicians are grossly out of touch with constituents. Worse off, the only constituents they can pay attention to, are those with the best lobbyists.
The Press-Citizen reported yesterday that Johnson, Black Hawk, and Linn counties are each going to contribute $10,000 a year for 2012 and $20,000 for 2013 to hire two Iowa lobbying firms to represent the counties' to the Iowa legislature and executive offices.
What that could mean is that more state money is directed to projects in Iowa City or Cedar Rapids. Lobbyists are people with the network, knowledge, and influence to try to convince representatives to agree with your point of view - and with thousands of dollars of state money every year going to special earmarked projects, it's clear how having the state legislature looking at your area when deciding where to spend.
But Johnson County, Black Hawk, and Linn have lobbyists already - they're called state representatives, who are elected by locals to represent them in the state legislature. But when it comes to issues like getting funding for an Iowa City/Chicago rail line, perhaps extra voices is what Iowa City needs.
However, statewide, the effects could be less desirable. A small town without the resources to hire a well-connected lobbying firm would miss out on more opportunities as lobbyists shove other cities' priorities to the forefront. While hiring a lobbyist might be the right move for the local area, the idea of lobbying the government to care about your interests is not one to be encouraged.
Please login to post.
- Otaku Talk - Organizing Cosplay Events and Conventions
- Japan Media News- 34th Volume of 'Hunter x Hunter' to be released in June
- Meanwhile in Japan, Stage Play Adaptation of 'Attack of Titan' Gets Cancelled
- Bernie Sanders Wins Iowa Caucus
- Pairing western food with Nihon Sake
- Internet users win victory in phone unlocking.
- XBox to improve Smart Glass for Next Gen
- What's with the new iPhone?
- Iowa City School Board member could lose law license
- Good-bye to Bentley
- Nebraska man arrested for scheming Iowa City bank for over $60,000
- Minneapolis Comic Con to feature Power Rangers
- Apple meets some heat from China Labor Watch, and gets outed
- University of Iowa faces new healthcare rules
- Sony reigning in the Next Gen battle
- XBox 360 indie developers could self-publish on XBox Live
- Iowa City couple turns to burglary to support habits
- Peeping landlord trial pushed to September
- Iowa Man Faces Charges for Keeping Drugs Around Children
- Black Angel to Be on SyFy
- Warrant Issued for University of Iowa City
- Bag Ban Not Looking Up in Iowa City
- Vote on Chickens in Iowa City Delayed
- Accident on Iowa City Rock Climbing Wall
- Iowa City Horror Movie in the Making
- Obama Gives Anticipated Speech at University of Iowa
- Two Iowa City Artists Say: Moon Or Bust!
- 58 Programs Dropped From UNI
- UI Field House Entrance To Be Demolished For Hospital
- Even Governments Need Lobbyists
- Occupy Iowa City Starts Today
- Comedy Central Comes To Iowa City
- Destination Des Moines: October
- mc chris, MC Lars, Mega Ran, and Adam WarRock play in Iowa City
- Misfortune and Occult delight the Landlocked Film Festival
- What's up in Iowa City this week.