Late yesterday afternoon the Iowa state Board of Regents voted unanimously to approve ceasing 58 majors, minors, and graduate programs at the University of Northern Iowa.
A few last-minute changes to the list were announced this morning, including suspending, rather than cutting, two programs offering geography and theater education minors. University of Northern Iowa Provost Gloria Gibson announced the changes to the list of programs to be cut, which included removing a BS in Physics and adding the Physics BA program.
Among other program cuts were all programs in German and French, with UNI Provost Gibson noting a lack of student demand.
The Regents denied a request from the UNI faculty senate to delay the decision, after faculty members voted on Monday night to ask for a delay to give more time to consider the program cuts. The UNI faculty senate and faculty union criticized the administration, claiming they did not cut deeply enough into athletics and auxiliary programs.
Additional budget saving plans include cutting $500,000 in funding from UNI athletics department over the next three years.
UNI President Ben Allen said the university had been struggling to bridge a $5 million dollar budget deficit this year.
There have been ongoing local protests centering the program cuts and a simultaneous decision by the university to close a research laboratory school.
Please login to post.
- Japan Media News- 34th Volume of 'Hunter x Hunter' to be released in June
- Meanwhile in Japan, Stage Play Adaptation of 'Attack of Titan' Gets Cancelled
- Bernie Sanders Wins Iowa Caucus
- Pairing western food with Nihon Sake
- Internet users win victory in phone unlocking.
- XBox to improve Smart Glass for Next Gen
- What's with the new iPhone?
- Iowa City School Board member could lose law license
- Good-bye to Bentley
- Nebraska man arrested for scheming Iowa City bank for ovre $60,000
- Minneapolis Comic Con to feature Power Rangers
- Apple meets some heat from China Labor Watch, and gets outed
- University of Iowa faces new healthcare rules
- Sony reigning in the Next Gen battle
- XBox 360 indie developers could self-publish on XBox Live
- Iowa City couple turns to burglary to support habits
- Peeping landlord trial pushed to September
- Woman dies answering her iPhone
- Iowa Man Faces Charges for Keeping Drugs Around Children
- Black Angel to Be on SyFy
- Warrant Issued for University of Iowa City
- Bag Ban Not Looking Up in Iowa City
- Vote on Chickens in Iowa City Delayed
- Accident on Iowa City Rock Climbing Wall
- Iowa City Horror Movie in the Making
- Obama Gives Anticipated Speech at University of Iowa
- Two Iowa City Artists Say: Moon Or Bust!
- 58 Programs Dropped From UNI
- UI Field House Entrance To Be Demolished For Hospital
- Even Governments Need Lobbyists
- Occupy Iowa City Starts Today
- Comedy Central Comes To Iowa City
- Destination Des Moines: October
- mc chris, MC Lars, Mega Ran, and Adam WarRock play in Iowa City
- Misfortune and Occult delight the Landlocked Film Festival
- What's up in Iowa City this week.